Frequently Asked Questions

Why is there a sign on my property from the Noxious Weed Board?

An inspection has been done, and it has been concluded that your property has noxious weeds present. 

Why do I have to control my weeds?

According to RCW 17.10, all noxious weeds must be controlled. Economic loss and adverse effects to Washington's agricultural, natural, and human resources can occur due to the presence and spread of noxious weeds on all terrestrial and aquatic areas in the state.

Why did I get a letter in the mail from the Noxious Weed Board?

A letter is your notification that noxious weeds have been found on your property. The letter requests that weed control measures be taken within a specified period of time. Noxious weed consultants most likely would have noticed noxious weeds on your property during routine surveys, but may have been directed to your property through a landowner complaint.

Who is the Noxious Weed Control Board of Grant County?

We are the agency which enforces the control of noxious weeds according to the state noxious weed law, RCW 17.10. We do this by making personal contact with landowners, educating the public, and spot spraying herbicides on county right-of-ways.

Why didn’t my neighbors get a sign posted on their property too?

Signs are posted intermittently to let the public know the noxious weed consultant has worked the area. Signs are not posted on every property with noxious weeds due to cost and time constraints.

I think I found a noxious weed infestation. What can I do?

Call the Noxious Weed Board office at (509) 754-2011, Ext. 4710, and report it. We will send a noxious weed consultant to check the property and notify the landowner if there are noxious weeds present.

I have a noxious weed infestation. What do I do?

Call the Noxious Weed Board office at (509) 754-2011, Ext. 4710. You will be referred to the noxious weed consultant who works in your area. The consultant can give a recommendation on how to control your noxious weeds.

Why do we have noxious weeds, and why are they so bad?

Learn why we have noxious weeds, and why they are so bad.

What is the difference between a weed board and a weed district?

Weed districts operate under Chapter 17.04 RCW or Chapter 17.06 RCW, and weed boards operate under Chapter 17.10 RCW. There are four weed districts in Grant County that were created before the weed board was formed in 1980. Weed districts have their own board of directors and are separate entities from weed boards. Weed boards have no jurisdiction on lands within weed district boundaries. A map showing weed district boundaries is available under the Resources tab of this website.

Questions? Contact the Board!